Breakdowns and Schedules
Like Ora Damelin

Breakdowns and Schedules

Breakdowns and Schedules

Published: June 9, 2020 0 0 69
By: Ora Damelin, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #AssistantDirector #Scheduling

For my Assistant Directing Workshop, my classmates and I used Movie Magic Scheduling to line, break down, and schedule a short script and a feature length screenplay.

In addition to learning how to use the software, I learned how to look at a script from the perspective of an Assistant Director, to identify and catalog every important element of a scene and how long it would take to film. A detailed breakdown allowed me to create a realistic schedule, and could later be used to create an accurate budget. I could not afford to leave anything out or slack off. I needed to remain focused at all times while I worked.

Scheduling required me to balance budget and the availability actors and locations with the health and well-being of a crew. As I desperately searched for solutions to problems which revealed themselves on their own, I realized that a strong schedule is built on strong compromises. As a producer, I need to be flexible, but I need to always be aware of the areas where I should do not, or should not, have room to maneuver.