Breaking Out Feature Screenplay
Like Kenna Maurisak

Breaking Out Feature Screenplay

Breaking Out Feature Screenplay

Published: January 2, 2021 0 0 44
By: Kenna Maurisak, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #ADHD #alcoholabuse #alcoholaddiction #alcoholism #Asylum #Bipolar #bipolardisorder #childabuse #Children #childrenandteen #Comedy #Drama #featurefilm #LGBT #LGBTQcommunity #mental_health #mental_health_awareness #mentaldisorder #mentaldisorders #mentalhealthawareness #ocd #ptsd #schizophrenia #SchizophreniaandBipolar #Sciencefiction #Screenplay #Screenwriting #SocietalIssues #Society #societyandculture #societychallenges #Teenage #teenager

This project was inspired by the way I felt growing up. This screenplay was written as an analogy for mental illness and society. It features a group of children with abnormal abilities who are trying to escape an asylum and aspire to live life as "normal" people. However, their abnormal abilities are subtly connected to different mental disorders such as bipolar, OCD, ADHD, etc. The asylum is the literal representation of society. The asylum workers try their hardest to keep these kids away from the real world because they're "different". I've also included representation of the LGBTQ community and how society affects people who are a part of it.

My goal in writing this screenplay is to hopefully show the world that people with mental illnesses aren't always as dangerous or crazy as society deems them to be. I've had experience with people looking at me different because of the mental illnesses I struggle with and it breaks my heart that so many other people have gone through way worse scenarios than I did. In sharing this screenplay with the world, I hope to one day change that in the best way I possibly can.

While writing this screenplay, I had writer's block multiple times and it was hard to finish this feature length film in such a short amount of time. From my peers in Screenwriting II, I was given a lot of insight into how I could improve this screenplay and I feel the revisions have made this into one of my best works so far.

Attachments:

Breaking_Out_Screenplay.pdf 731.5 KB