Breaking Out (Treatment)
Like Kenna Maurisak

Breaking Out (Treatment)

Breaking Out (Treatment)

Published: January 2, 2021 0 0 45
By: Kenna Maurisak, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #ADHD #alcoholabuse #alcoholaddiction #alcoholism #Asylum #asylums #Bipolar #bipolardisorder #Child #childabuse #Children #childrenandteen #Comedy #Drama #featurefilm #featurefilms #filmtreatment #LGBT #LGBTQcommunity #mental_health #mental_health_awareness #mentaldisorder #mentaldisorders #mentalillness #mentalillnesses #ocd #schizophrenia #SchizophreniaandBipolar #Sciencefiction #Screenwriting #SocietalIssues #Society #societyandculture #Treatment

This project was inspired by the way I felt growing up. The screenplay for this treatment was written as an analogy for mental illness and society. It features a group of children with abnormal abilities who are trying to escape an asylum and aspire to live life as "normal" people. However, their abnormal abilities are subtly connected to different mental disorders such as bipolar, OCD, ADHD, etc. The asylum is the literal representation of society. The asylum workers try their hardest to keep these kids away from the real world because they're "different". I've also included representation of the LGBTQ community and how society affects people who are a part of it.

My goal in writing this is to hopefully show the world that people with mental illnesses aren't always as dangerous or crazy as society deems them to be. I've had experience with people looking at me different because of the mental illnesses I struggle with and it breaks my heart that so many other people have gone through way worse scenarios than I did. In sharing this screenplay with the world, I hope to one day change that in the best way I possibly can.

Attachments:

Breaking_Out_Treatment_.pdf 96.6 KB