Community Movie Spec Script
Like JoJo Scanlon

Community Movie Spec Script

Community Movie Spec Script

Published: September 8, 2020 0 0 1
By: JoJo Scanlon, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #adaption #Community #Script #script_writing #Spec #specscript

Over the summer between my sophomore and junior year at Columbia College Chicago, I had moved back in with my mom because of the COVID-19 pandemic. During this time, I was at a very low point in my life and needed an escape. That's when my mom and I found Community. Community is definitely a weird show; written and created by Dan Harmon (Rick and Morty, Monster House), Community focuses on a study group at Greendale Community College and how a random group of outcasts find their place in society. Originally, the series was slated to have six seasons and a movie- even hatching it's own inside joke referencing it. After watching all six seasons, I was disappointed to see that the aforementioned movie never existed. This broke my heart because the show had been over for almost five years, and if a movie hadn't been made by now it might not ever be made. After doing some research, I found multiple interviews with Dan Harmon where he said he hadn't even started writing it! However, members of the cast and crew openly talked about how they would be very much interested in coming back together for a movie. After hearing all of this, I was inspired to do the unthinkable; I wanted to write and direct the Community movie.

The ending of Community left a sour taste in my mouth; after Jeff Winger finally kisses the girl he liked the entire show, Annie Edison, the show just cuts away to everyone at a bar like the end of Cheers. Logistically, it was because it was unclear of whether or not a seventh season would be made. Execution-ally, though, it sucked big time. I wanted Community The Movie to be the real ending, and through that lens I was able to craft a really interesting story in under 90 pages (translating to about an hour and a half of screen time). I sent the script to Dan Harmon along with Jim Gaff, another prominent writer and cast member on the show, once I was finished. I have yet to receive any word from them on whether or not they enjoyed it, but for better or worse I'm proud of myself for making the effort and putting myself out there. I learned a lot about my screenwriting style and I had a lot of fun writing it.