Art Rejects Art: Made In Chicago Final Project
Like Ben Troccoli

Published: January 5, 2020 0 0 228
By: Ben Troccoli, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #Analysis #Art #Arthistory #CriticalAnalysis #Culture #Museum #Powerpoint #Presentation

This was the presentation component of my digital art exhibition "Art Rejects Art", along with the presenters notes I used. "Art Rejects Art" studied how throughout history, artists have rejected the art world and the trends of it at the time to help my audience better understand how much things have changed in art, and how people have reacted when it has been challenged. There are a few keywords that apply to my exhibit, the first of which being exposure. For the 1978 artwork Man In Window by Roy DeCarava, exposure has two meanings. The first tackles the photography medium, with exposure being the amount of light per unit area. The photograph is severely underexposed: the African American man is barely distinguishable from the dark background surrounding him. This also plays into the other definition of exposure: "the revelation of an identity or fact, especially one that is concealed or likely to arouse disapproval." DeCarava is exposing the art world, specifically the photography world, for being specifically catered to white and light-skinned members of society, as there was no actual technology at the time to accurately photograph dark-skinned individuals. Another keyword that comes to mind in this project is unprecedented, or "never been done or known before". Museums and art are often placed behind museum walls, but is there art that the viewer can take with them? Felix Gonzoles-Torres says yes, in his 1990 work Untitled (The End). This piece consists of a stack of papers that museum goers can take with them, so that they take a piece of the artwork and the artwork evenutually disappear as he watched his life partner do the same from AIDS. Through these works I showed that when the art word is challenged, it often reflects on how the rest of the world has been challenged at the same time.