Kimball's Guardian
Like Reb Katula

Kimball's Guardian

Kimball's Guardian

Published: January 16, 2020 0 0 99
By: Reb Katula, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #Art #Atmospheric #Cccillustration #cemetery #Chicago #chicagoart #CrossHatching #Drawing #Environmentart #horrorart #Illustration #Ink #inkdrawing #inkpen #Melancholy

An illustration project based off the moment to William Kimball in Chicago's Graceland Cemetery. It was originally for a studio project about highlighting a location you haven't been to. I chose to do an illustration covering Graceland to learn more about Chicago's history and relationship with the dead.
Kimball's Grave stuck out to me because the staging of the angel statue among the columns; the eroded face of the statue staring up at the sky captured the aspects of Graceland I found the most interesting. It captured the feeling of old, somber wistfulness only an old cemetery could give.
The piece was done traditionally in pen and pastels. Working with this project helped me learn how to fully indulge in the process of art making from research, thumb nailing, to a finished work. Taking the time to decide how I wanted to compose the finished piece was what ended up making it so effective.