Knowledge Standard 3: Prevention and Resilience
Like Faith Walter

• No attachments yet

Faith is still working on this project.

Published: June 19, 2019 0 0 12
By: Faith Walter, Columbia College Chicago

In this standard, I learned how to develop environments that prevent children/youth from becoming at risk and help them develop resilience. Exploring this standard has allowed me to create a classroom environment that meets the needs of the at-risk and diverse youth that walk through my classroom doors. I was able to implement strategies that I learned about in my classes, and analyze the impact and effectiveness of these strategies. By implementing strategies and developing an environment that prevents my students from becoming at-risk, I have been able to make a difference in their future outcomes by increasing their resilience.
Artifact 1, I was able to use ABC (Antecedent, Behavior, Consequence) to analyze student behaviors in the classroom and to describe strategies and replacement behaviors to resolve student behaviors, promote student success, and develop a safe and nurturing classroom environment.
Artifact 2, I was able to analyze the Hidden Rules of the Classes put forth by Ruby Payne, and how this impacted each of the social classes that I might see in my classroom. I discussed implications for teachers to implement in classrooms to develop environments that could prevent children from becoming at-risk and help them develop resilience.