Liquor Store Dreams
Like Constantina Davis

Liquor Store Dreams

Liquor Store Dreams

Published: December 11, 2019 1 0 190
By: Constantina Davis, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #2019 #class_project #Westsidechicago

I wanted to find a creative way to capture the people within my community in a place with high amount of people. In my community on the west side of Chicago in the Lawndale and Austin we have an abundance amount of liquor stores. Usually in lower to the middle-class neighborhood liquor stores are not hard to find. I started with one of the most popular ones, “Ice House,” 356 N. Cicero Ave on Lake and Cicero. They stay open the longest and is known for their Ice cold fifths. My plan is to capture the random people hanging around that store and the people that are shopping there. I think the stories of people in my community are interesting and the people are beautiful in their own unique way. This is my way to record and have evidence that we were here.

I chose to canvas the liquor stores because I believe that alcohol is a part of my cultural. We use it at the family gatherings, to celebrate life, to morn death, to relax the list can go on. In the bible it states, “Ecclesiastes 10:19 A feast is made for laughter, wine makes life merry, and money is the answer for everything. Proverbs 31:6-7 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that of heavy hearts. Let him drink, and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.” I encounter people that was in different seasons and stages of their life with different paths they deiced to take, all of them becomes one portrait of life.

I added a Bar located on the west side of Chicago, it was a family friend celebrating her birthday. I assisted the Program Director from Illinois Media School, Cortez White my kids father. For this event I walked around to take photos and recorded video.

Likers

Constantina Davis