My Favorite Things - Dibs Trio
Like Dave Mcgonigal

My Favorite Things - Dibs Trio

My Favorite Things - Dibs Trio

Published: June 20, 2019 0 0 183
By: Dave Mcgonigal, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #Audio #Jazz #Music #recording #recordingengineer

For this project, in a small group, a few audio students and myself setup to record this jazz trio doing a few numbers. This one was my favorite, no pun intended. This was probably the most rewarding project I worked on at Columbia. The musicians were extremely talented, the music was well written and the session was the smooth. Plenty of time to listen back and do more takes. We also got to use some really nice microphones on this one and some really high quality pre-amps. Including the Neumann U47 on the saxophone, which was just beautiful.
This project in particular really inspired me, because I grew up listening to a lot of jazz and I just really love the sound, theres a lot to love. The biggest challenge on the project was working with the melodica. It is a really unruly instrument and finding the right eq curves to fit it into the mix was an issue. It was also a debate between which instrument should go where, not because it was a difficult issue, more that there were multiple good options as to which instrument would fill the center and which would be on the side. All in all though, the project turned out really great and the trio as well as the team were happy with the results, for this project everyone in the team did their own mix, so this is my version.