Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
Like Jonathan Robinson

Published: April 20, 2020 0 0 132
By: Jonathan Robinson, Goucher College
Hashtags: #8a #Education #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment #Teaching

PSEL #8a Parent-Teacher Conferences Introduction:
The artifact that is represented for this activity is an email regarding a parent conference that I conducted. Obviously, parent conferences occur throughout any given school year. Active communication with parents and families are an essential aspect of being a teacher and being a school leader. Parent-teacher conferences provide opportunities for teachers, administrators and families to work in a collaborative manner in order to meet the needs of children.
PSEL #8a Parent-Teacher Conferences Rationale:
Parent conferences help to build leadership capacity in several ways. Communication and collaboration are the most obvious ways in which conferences help to build leadership capacity. Initiating and participating in parent conferences demonstrates my willingness to meet the requirements of my job, but also demonstrates my willingness to actively communicate with parents so that their concerns are heard and that, as a team, we work together in the best interest of the child. While most parent-teacher conferences are positive in nature, some can be difficult. Those difficult parent-teacher conferences allow me to further build my leadership capacity as it requires me to engage with individuals who have a different perspective. I must have the ability to deescalate upset parents so that we can negotiate a plan that is for the benefit of their child. That negotiation should not compromise my integrity as a teacher and as a leader. The activities relate to PSEL #8a because the scenario presented creates opportunities for the school’s faculty and administration to work collaboratively with the community and families in a manner that is beneficial for the academic environment of all children.