Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
Like Jonathan Robinson

Published: April 3, 2020 0 0 79
By: Jonathan Robinson, Goucher College
Hashtags: #2B #Academics #Education #Leadership #Teaching

PSEL #2b: Equity Training Introduction
This artifact relates to equity training that I completed in March 2020. I took part in the training because I am a member of my school’s Equity Committee. While I was a member of the first incarnation of the committee, we did not implement any of the previous training that we learned. When my school got a new principal, he reinstated the committee and I rejoined. This training was over the course of two days and serves as the beginning of the new initiative.
PSEL #2b: Equity Training Rationale
As a teacher, being able to approach situations, people, lessons and issues with a mindset of equity is essential. As teachers, we have to recognize the diversity of not only our students, but of our colleagues as well. In addition, we have to be sensitive and understanding of each individual’s background, circumstances and worldview. With adequate training, teachers are better able to recognize their own personal biases so that they make every attempt to change them. Equity training allows teachers to understand that racism and prejudice isn’t just a mindset, it is institutionalized in our society. This institutional racism certainly is manifested in our school systems and we have to make every attempt to eradicate that systemic racism. Equity training can give teachers the tools and the resources to make that change in their own pedagogy, but also to share that knowledge with colleagues. This artifact aligns to PSEL #2b because it is continuous learning that will build one’s integrity and can help to develop a sense of fairness when collaborating and learning with and from others.