Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
Like Jonathan Robinson

Published: April 5, 2020 0 0 68
By: Jonathan Robinson, Goucher College
Hashtags: #7a #Academics #Education #Leadership #Teaching

PSEL #7a: Learning Walk Introduction
This artifact relates to a learning walk that was conducted earlier in the year on November 14th. It depicts an email that was sent by my S.T.A.T. teacher. The email serves as a reminder that I needed to request coverage so that I could make myself available for the learning walk. The activity took place at Pot Springs Elementary School.
PSEL #7a: Learning Walk Rationale:
Because Pot Springs Elementary School is one of the primary schools that feed into Ridgely Middle School, it is imperative that the educators at Ridgely understand what those programs look like. One of the ways to gain that understanding is through learning walks. This learning walk was beneficial in several ways. Not only was I able to observe fourth and fifth grade teachers and the curricula that they teach, more importantly, I was able to see what skills and standards the elementary teachers address with their students and how engaged those students were in their learning. Although the learning walk was only for a day, it did provide insight into what the students understood and what they didn’t. The ability to network and collaborate with fellow colleagues was also vital to my experience. Networking allows me to continue to build my leadership capacity by forging relationships that promote trust and open communication and collective efficacy. Because of this, the activity directly aligns with PSEL #7a.