Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
Like Jonathan Robinson

Published: April 20, 2020 0 0 86
By: Jonathan Robinson, Goucher College
Hashtags: #1 #2 #8b #Academics #Education #Leadership #Teaching

PSEL #8b Case Studies #1 and #2 Introduction:
The two artifacts are taken from ED 674A during the Fall of 2019. The two artifacts are two case studies completed during that time. The case studies represented different scenarios related to school climate, culture, budgets and goals. In each case study, the specific areas of concern needed to be analyzed and prioritized. Through a leadership perspective, I then needed to assess how I would approach and resolve the various issues that were represented in each case study.
PSEL #8b Case Studies #1 and #2 Rationale:
The analysis of each case study was a way for me to experience the different issues that could arise in a school and determine the best approach to resolving the issues. The issues were wide-ranging, including: acts of discrimination, lack of innovation, nepotism, bullying, harassment and issues regarding funding. The goal of the assignments was to determine how I would approach each situation. As a future leader, I have to be able to recognize the issues that I either inherent, or issues that arise during my tenure. Taking the necessary and responsible actions towards resolving any issues is essential to maintaining a professional and academic climate. Through the case studies, I have also learned that as a leader, I need to be transparent and communicate the issues with my staff so that we can work in a collaborative manner and work towards the established mission and vision of the school. In contrast, there are times when I will need to make unilateral decisions and keep information confidential. Working on these case studies has helped me determine when transparency and when confidentiality is necessary. The activities relate to PSEL #8b because the scenarios presented create opportunities for the school’s faculty and administration to work collaboratively in a manner that utilizes the various valued resources within the community to promote student success.