Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
Like Jonathan Robinson

Published: April 20, 2020 0 0 86
By: Jonathan Robinson, Goucher College
Hashtags: #10a #Academics #Education #Leadership #Teaching

PSEL #10a SLO Introduction:
The artifacts represent my student learning outcome goals for the 2019-2020 school year. While the artifacts are required by the school system, they are a good indicator of student learning progression throughout an academic year. In addition, the reflection tool allows the teacher to determine what practices worked best and which did not in an effort to refine teaching strategies to maximize student achievement.
PSEL #10a SLO Rationale:
Creating and then implementing SLOs is an integral component of measuring student success over a prolonged period. SLOs identify key aspects of a content area and target the skills and standards associated to increase student achievement. As an English teacher, I always identify a reading SLO and a writing SLO. The reading SLO is always measured against the MAP assessment, which is administered twice each year, and the writing SLO is primarily measured against Performance Based Assessments, although, other data can be used. The writing data includes diagnostic assessments and other extensive writing assessments given throughout a quarter. As the class leader, I have to understand what who my students are academically. That means, that I may have to access data from the previous school year to process their academic achievement in the areas of reading and writing. The knowledge helps me to make an informed decision about what standards and skills need to be addressed. During a current school year, the constant assessment of student data is necessary so that I am reevaluating the effectiveness of my teaching. Doing so allows me to address deficiencies in my teaching so that I can make adjustments to address the needs of my students. These artifacts align to PSEL #10a as the implementation of SLOs and the instruction associated for ongoing evidence-based inquiry and strategic goal setting geared towards classroom improvement.