Professional Standards for Educational Leaders
Like Jonathan Robinson

Published: December 1, 2019 0 0 135
By: Jonathan Robinson, Goucher College
Hashtags: #4 #4c #College #Education #Leadership #Teaching

PSEL #4c: Employ Valid Assessment and Use Assessment Data Appropriately Introduction
The artifact was conducted during the 2018-2019 school year. The purpose of the artifact is to determine what the weaknesses of students are related to addressed academic standards. The analysis of the data allowed me to isolate academic gaps and to create strategies to close those achievement gaps. The data was based on periodic assessment data from each unit of the English/Language Arts curricula. The periodic assessment is a standardized test that is developed by BCPS and must be administered to each student at the end of ever studied unit. The purpose of the periodic assessment is to determine how well students have mastered taught standards from a given unit.

PSEL #4c: Employ Valid Assessment and Use Assessment Data Appropriately Reflection
The task of analyzing data is a difficult one for me. However, the insight that is provided from the analysis is invaluable as it helps to influence pedagogical decisions and practices in the future. Data analysis helps to identify achievement gaps and to develop strategies and practices that are both engaging and rigorous for students. In turn, the development of those practices should help students close those achievement gaps in an effort to increase student achievement. For this task, I had to analyze each addressed standard in a given unit and I had to determine whether a significant number of students did not meet each standard. If more than 50% of students under-performed on a given standard, I had to record which students did not meet the standard and then design activities that would increase their understanding of each standard. This aligns to PSEL #4 as it is “consistent with knowledge of child learning and development and technical standards of measurement and use assessment data appropriately.”