Promise Me You Won't Read My Diary: A Novel
Like Skyler Daniels

Published: September 13, 2020 0 0 11
By: Skyler Daniels, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #classof2021 #columbiacollegechicago

These three attachments are excerpts of a novel I'm writing called "Promise Me You Won't Read My Diary".
In 1985, seventeen-year-old Margo wishes her pseudo-psychic grandmother would be a little more stable and a little less obsessed with death. Margo keeps a bucket list with her to cope with her stressful and morbid life, adding to it everytime she has an inside joke or a secret anxiety. But when her grandmother suddenly gives a prediction that Margo is going to die, Margo turns to her bucket list to cope. If she really is dying, she might as well complete her list. And if she isn't - well, then it's time for her to finally grow up.
Thirty years later, lonely sixteen-year-old Audrey finds and becomes obsessed with Margo's diary, feeling so connected to the person who seems to see her like nobody else does. When Audrey reads until the end of the unfinished diary, she becomes determined to figure out what happened to Margo. What follows is a tale of disappearances, family secrets, a town conspiracy, and the inevitable heartache of letting go and moving on.