PSEL Standard Artifact 10.A
Like Jill Jahries

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.A

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.A

Published: April 15, 2020 0 0 82
By: Jill Jahries, Goucher College
Hashtags: #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.A
This artifact is a draft of a plan of action for a school in the event of the loss of a staff member or student during distance/virtual learning. As a leader of one of two central area traumatic loss teams (TLT), it is my responsibility to support an administration and his/her team should a loss of a staff member or student occur at a school. With BCPS moving to distance learning, all school buildings are closed so the protocol for the TLT to provide supports had to be adjusted to meet this changing situation. The week of April 6th, I was contacted by Kim Ferguson, the head of Student Support Services and notified of a death of a 12th grade student at a high school in the central area. It was my responsibility to reach out to the principal to determine how we would support the needs of his staff and students during virtual learning. This artifact outlines an action plan for the principal as to how the supports for students and staff will look like in the virtual setting. In addition to helping the principal craft the letter and identify resources for parents and staff, I created a link parents and students can use to request support. Any requests made can be accessed online and the TLT leader then shares the names and contact information with identified school based staff and/or members of the TLT to reach out to provide support, as needed. This artifact demonstrates my competency of PSEL standard 10A because I collaborated with a team of skilled and experienced educators to reflect and improve upon the ways the TLT supports students, staff and administrators during a crisis. The action plan and creation of the online link to request support is an enhancement to the TLT protocol for providing support. The TLT will continue to use this link if/when other losses occur and support is needed. There will be on-going evaluation of this approach along with analysis of ways to communicate with families without internet access as we move forward.

Attachments:

Artifact_Standard_10A.docx 13.3 KB