PSEL Standard Artifact 10.B
Like Jill Jahries

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.B

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.B

Published: April 15, 2020 0 0 69
By: Jill Jahries, Goucher College
Hashtags: #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.B
This artifact is a summary of the school counseling program plan data shared with the principal at the end of the second quarter as part of the review of the School Progress Plan. As part of the leadership team, I participate in the review the school progress plan at the end of each quarter. The school counseling department develops its goals for the year by reviewing school wide priorities and determining goals for the year for each grade level counselor. At the end of the second quarter, each counselor reviewed the data/outcomes related to their goals set at the start of the school year. As the department chairperson, it is my responsibility to collect my data as well as the data from each counselor and create a summary to share with the leadership team. Our data showed an overall positive impact on attendance and academic progress for identified students from the start of the year through the end of the 2nd quarter. As a department, we reviewed the data and discussed best practices like contacting parents frequently as well as meeting with students for check-ins as part of our success. In addition, we determined that we should consider being more proactive when reaching out to parents to discuss concerns and alternatives like e-learning for students with chronic attendance or academic concerns. Outcome data from all departments and the goals on the school progress plan were reviewed by the leadership team to determine if any changes needed to be made. This artifact demonstrates my competency in PSEL Standard 10B because I worked with the leadership team to develop the school progress plan and then analyzed data from my department and others to determine if the goals and target actions on the plan were still appropriate. This process follows the improvement process from central area leadership to Ridgely’s leadership to the rest of the staff and demonstrates our commitment to make data driven decisions with the district office. The School Progress Plan set the tone for the focus and work of our staff. The review at mid-year allowed us to review data to determine what areas needed improvement. The school counseling department was able to use our data to drill down and identify specific students who improved by talking about and looking at varying interventions used to support increased attendance or achievement. This meaningful use of data empowers leaders and staff members to work together to continually improve and results in better outcomes for students.