PSEL Standard Artifact 10.C
Like Jill Jahries

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.C

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.C

Published: April 15, 2020 0 0 63
By: Jill Jahries, Goucher College
Hashtags: #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment

PSEL Standard Artifact 10.C
This artifact is an excerpt from an assignment I completed as part of the course on Effective Instruction at Goucher in the fall of 2019. The purpose of the assignment was to learn about and practice using a quantitative observation tool in order to provide specific and meaningful feedback regarding instruction. I observed my colleague, Jon, teach an 8th grade English class for this assignment. Jon shared he wanted to improve his instructional practices related to student engagement and responsive/small group instruction. We agreed I would use a Tailored Question-Response Instrument to monitor student engagement and responsive instruction by noting teacher prompts for encouragement, incorrect responses made by students, teacher correction for behavior or being off task, positive comments following student responses, the identification of students for small group instruction and students being on task or off task throughout the lesson. The artifact is a letter I wrote to Jon after our post conference discussion summarizing the results of the monitoring tool and recommendations on considerations to improve his instructional practices in order to increase student engagement and responsive instruction. This artifact demonstrates my competency in PSEL Standard 10C because I was able to work with Jon to identify an area of instruction he wanted to improve upon and we used inquiry, experimentation and innovation to lead to ways he can improve his instructional practices. His willingness to experiment, collaborate with a colleague and reflect on outcome data resulted in improved outcomes for students and increased engagement in his future planning and implementation of lessons.

Attachments:

Artifact_Standard_10C.docx 12.9 KB