PSEL Standard Artifact 8.B
Like Jill Jahries

PSEL Standard Artifact 8.B

PSEL Standard Artifact 8.B

Published: April 15, 2020 0 0 69
By: Jill Jahries, Goucher College
Hashtags: #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment

PSEL Standard Artifact 8.B
This artifact is the summary of an academic planning meeting that took place in October 2019 between me and student K. As part of my school counseling program plan, I am required to meet with each student for a one on one discussion of academic planning each year. During this meeting, I use the results from a student planning survey though an online platform called Naviance to shape the conversation and the information and resources I share with the student. The survey provides me with information about a student’s general hobbies and interests and high school and post-secondary goals. In my meeting with K, he shared he was interested in science and perhaps studying engineering in college. He is zoned to attend Loch Raven High School but is interested in applying for special permission to attend Dulaney High School for their Project Lead the Way Pre-Engineering program. He also expressed interest in Towson High School’s Law and Public Policy program. As a result of his interests, I reminded him of the magnet application deadline and shared with him the details of how his parent would go about applying for special permission to attend DHS. I also shared with him information about the partnership BCPS has with the Community College of Baltimore County where he can take up to 4 classes for free beginning his sophomore year. In addition, I encouraged him to look into the Robotics Club given his interest in engineering. A copy of this journal summary is emailed to the parent to keep them informed about the resources discussed at the meeting. These academic planning conferences help me to develop competency in PSEL standard 8B because they give me the opportunity to understand and employ community resources and share them with students and their families to promote student learning. Student K was provided with knowledge and information about school and community resources to support his interests and goals moving forward.

Attachments:

Artifact_Standard_8B.docx 11.7 KB