PSEL Standard Artifact 8.C
Like Jill Jahries

PSEL Standard Artifact 8.C

PSEL Standard Artifact 8.C

Published: April 15, 2020 0 0 84
By: Jill Jahries, Goucher College
Hashtags: #Leadership #ProfessionalDevelopment

PSEL Standard Artifact 8.C
These artifacts include a copy of Ridgely Middle School’s fall School Counseling Advisory Council presentation and the meeting minutes. As the school counseling department chairperson, I am responsible for creating the agenda and presentation for the advisory council meeting in the fall and the spring. Each year administrators, staff members, identified students, identified parents and community partners are invited to participate in the School Counseling Advisory Council. The purpose of meeting is to introduce members to the critical components of our school counseling program plan and provide members with the opportunity to assess and share feedback about the development of our school counseling program moving forward. Feedback from the meeting is used to shape our programming for students. In the spring, the council will meet again to review the outcomes of goals set for the year and work with the council to plan for needs for the following year. We met in November of 2019 and students, families, school counselors and mental health partners were in attendance. All stakeholders were given the opportunity to share their feedback and offer suggestions for future programming. As a result of student feedback, the STAG program was modified to provide more team building activities and one of our mental health partners shared strategies for teachers to consider to reduce stress for students. My role and responsibilities related to the School Counseling Advisory Council helped develop my competency in PSEL standard 8C because the meeting includes all stakeholders and allows me to advocate for and inform the entire school community about the priorities and programming in my department. The feedback from members provides our department and school community with helpful information to meet the needs of students, families and our community. Many parents, students as well as our mental partners participate in our fall and spring meetings each year thereby sustaining our productive partnerships with all stakeholders to support each student’s academic success and well-being.