Standard Six: Reflection & Supporting Artifacts
Like Adimu Waters

Published: November 18, 2019 0 0 137
By: Adimu Waters, Goucher College
Hashtags: #AssessingCriticalThinking #Training

(Professional Development) Standard Six States: Effective educational leaders develop the professional capacity and practice of school personnel to promote each student's academic success and well-being.

Reflection:
I firmly believe that the capacity must exist for educational leaders to provide a platform for the professional development and well-being of staff. We spend a lot of time discussing the well-being of students, but very little time talking about the physical and mental health of school employees. In order to effectively teach the students, the staff must also be in a healthy place. This is easier said than done. Working in the field of education can be extremely taxing. That's why it's critical for educational leaders to promote programs that will uplift spirits, boost moral, and simply put a smile on someones face. I have recognized this need in my school building. As a future educational leader, I will be sure to keep the professional capacity of my staff in mind and work hard at helping create a true work life balance.

Standard Six 6.1:
Recruit, hire support, develop, and retain effective and caring teachers and other professional staff and form them into an educationally effective faculty providing opportunities for effective induction and mentoring of new personnel. Artifact 1: I have attached an employee referral form. This is a great program that my school runs in order to recruit, hire, and retain effective and caring teachers. As current employees, we have the ability to recommend highly qualified candidates for hire. This helps ensure that we have a vested interest in the new personnel coming into the building. This also increases the likelihood that an existing staff member would be wiling to mentor, train, and help acclimate new colleagues to the buildings culture.

Standard Six 6.2:
Deliver actionable feedback about instruction and other professional practice through valid, research-anchored systems of supervision and evaluation to support the development of teachers' and staff members' knowledge, skills, and practice through differentiated opportunities for learning and growing including leadership opportunities. Artifact 2: I have attached an actionable feedback report that I recently received from the schools Positive Behavior and Interventions Strategies program coordinator at my school. This feedback was followed by a 45 minute observation period where the coordinator tracked real data that I created during the course of a lesson. Some of the data points included opportunities for students to respond, specific praise given, general praise given, corrections, and acknowledgements. All of the data points were tallied and I received a score. Let's just say that I have some room from improvement. None the less, the PBIS action plan is an excellent example of standard six in action. It provides us with a snapshot into research-anchored systems of supervision and evaluation, giving the staff person valuable feedback on way's to improve, and opportunities for growth.

Standard Six 6.3:
Promote the personal and professional health, well-being, and work-life balance of faculty, staff, and self. Artifact 3: I have attached a flyer that was used to promote a Halloween costume contest at my school. This is a very good example of the educational leaders at my facility helping to promote the personal and professional health and well-being of staff members. This was a fun activity that helped boost moral and create some good will. We must all take some additional time to find a better work life balance. This artifact supports that concept found in standard 6.3.