Standard Three: Reflection & Supporting Artifacts
Like Adimu Waters

Published: November 13, 2019 0 0 94
By: Adimu Waters, Goucher College
Hashtags: #AssessingCriticalThinking #Training

(Equity and Cultural Responsiveness) Standard Three States: Effective educational leaders strive for equity of educational opportunity and culturally responsive practices to promote each student's academic success and well-being.

Reflection:
In today's political climate it's extremely important to let each student know that they will be treated equally despite any cultural or racial differences that may exist. As educational leaders it's our job to facilitate a nurturing and inviting environment for our students in order to promote their academic success and physical well-being. Equal educational opportunity for all is a vital mandate that we must uphold. As a future school leader I firmly believe that I must keep this standards integrity intact as our buildings and facilities continue to become more diverse over time. I have developed competence in this standard because I am currently able to teach a melting pot of students successfully on a daily basis, providing them each with an equal opportunity to acquire meaningful knowledge.

Standard 3.1:
Ensure that each student is treated fairly, respectfully, and with an understanding of each student's culture and context, viewing diversity as an asset for teaching and learning to prepare students to contribute to a diverse society. Artifact 1: I have attached a poster that is hanging in my classroom of a school wide initiative that is part of my buildings inclusive student culture. We make sure that our diverse student population is treating themselves, each other, and their space with respect at all times regardless of race and or culture differences. I have developed competency in this area because I am actively working on shaping my students into tolerant and respectful contributors to a diverse and global society each and every day. We discuss viewing diversity as an asset in the context of idea sharing. Everyone has a unique perspective, and all ideas are welcomed and considered.

Standard 3.2:
Ensure that each student has equitable access to effective teachers, learning opportunities, academic and social support, and other resources necessary for success and confront and alter institutional biases for success and confront and alter institutional biases of student marginalization, deficit-based schooling, and low expectations associated with race, class, culture and language, gender, and sexual orientation, and disability or special status. Artifact 2: I have attached my school mission statement and overview as an example of a successful demonstration of standard 3.2. In my facility we work very hard at creating an equitable environment that is able to meet the diverse needs of our diverse student population. I am part of a team that provides effective teachers, learning opportunities, and academic / social support to students. I pride myself in not introducing institutional biases and student marginalization into my classroom instruction. I have demonstrated competency in this standard because I work each day on living up to the schools mission statement and improving the great program that we offer.

Standard 3.3:
Act with cultural competence and responsiveness in their interactions, decision making, and practice and address matters of equity and cultural responsiveness in all aspects of leadership. Artifact 3: I have attached a poster that hangs throughout the school building promoting tolerance, cultural competence, and address matters of equality. I have used this poster because it comes from a school educational leader that has demonstrated cultural responsiveness in its development and implementation. As a future educational leader I use this message to strengthen the positive interactions that I have with my culturally diverse students and colleagues. I have demonstrated competence in this area because I have taken the message to heart and teach the importance of its viewpoints on a daily basis.