Toss Up
Like Sophia Abel

Toss Up

Toss Up

Published: May 11, 2018 0 0 138
By: Sophia Abel, Columbia College Chicago
Hashtags: #adobepremiere #adobepremierepro #directing #Editing #Film #Production #Project #Shortfilm #sounddesign #Soundediting #Video #Videoediting

This is a short film I directed and edited for Directing 1. This project involved choosing a pre-existing script, finding crew members, casting actors, making storyboards, shotlists, overheads, designing blocking for the scene, building and decorating a set, and post-production work.
This project was a lot of fun and involved some outside the box ideas. Instead of using the usual set walls and pieces, I wanted to use the unfinished backs of the set pieces to create a rough basement or shed look. The props and set decorations were also a little out of the ordinary for the available props in the prop room, so I worked with the production designer to choose out of use objects from my family's farm to use as props.
There were many challenges involved in this project, such as the short two hour time frame to film, alternating takes with another production on the other side of the soundstage. Another was a last minute change in actors, as one cancelled last minute. Figuring out the configuration of existing set walls required trying a few different ideas.
In editing this film, the biggest challenge was getting cuts to match because the actors weren't completely consistent on timing and movements.

Tagged Teammates:

• Ethan Schwabe
  • Siobhan Murphy